Do you want to get an inspirational gift for a special child? Maybe a unique gift for your little nephew or niece? We know how hard it can be searching for that perfect birthday gift in between work hours. There are so many toy shops, where would you begin? The answer is simple – purchase a traditional wooden toy online.
There are a variety of quality wooden toys for sale today, ranging in a variety of colors. These make a great alternative to all of the plastic and battery-operated toys on the market as they are unique and will last much longer. They range from baby rattles to tricycles for toddlers, and the prices are really affordable.
If a wooden toy sounds like the right choice for you, here are a couple of pointers to help you make the right decision. First of all, do a bit of research. Ensure that the toy is of high quality and that it is appropriate for the age group of the child.
When Buying for Babies (0 to 18 Months)
Remember that a newborn baby would not be able to hold a toy, only as they get older they would be able to. However, an 18-month-old baby would probably try to dismantle the toy, so ensure that you get the right toy for their development stage.
- Between 0 and 3 months: Look for something that will entertain the baby – something colorful. A wind-up toy like a music box will be perfect.
- Between 3 and 6 months: During this stage, the baby will start to sit and hold objects. Look for something that can make a noise when shaking, like a rattle.
- Between 6 and 9 months: During this phase, babies move around a lot. This is where balls or toys with wheels will keep them busy for hours.
- Between 9 and 18 months: This is where the child starts to develop at a rapid pace. Thy start to walk, learn to speak and begin to recognize colors and shapes Push along bugs or spinning walkers will be perfect during this age. If the child likes something that makes a noise, a wooden drum or xylophone may also do it.
Gifts for Toddlers (1 to 3 Years)
During the toddler phase, children want to investigate. They want to touch everything and try to get those objects that were always out of reach. Spinning or pull-along toys will keep them entertained. A sorting game or simple puzzle will also come in handy on the rare occasion that they do sit down.
Gifts for Preschoolers (3 to 5 Years)
During this phase, the child will have mastered walking and speaking. Now they will be very imaginative and start to invent their own games. A toy that will feed their imagination is highly recommended.
- Between 3 and 4 years: This is the age where gender starts to play a role, boys will start doing boy things, and girls will start doing girly things Girls will begin to dress up and play with toy furniture, dollhouses and kitchen appliances. Boys, on the other hand, will be more interested in swords, bulldozers, police cars, and fire engines.
- Between 4 and 5 years: This is the years where the child will be prepared for their school years. Puzzles are a good option here, as well as something that will help with motor skills, like “Pedaless bikes.”
As you can see from the different age groups, there is a different interest at every stage of development. Do not go and buy the most expensive rattle you can find for a 3-month-old baby, as it will only be used for a short while.
Remember, if it is your niece, nephew or goddaughter you are shopping for, you will have a lot of opportunity in the future to spoil them. Consider how long the toy will be used for. Children tend to rediscover their toys as they get older. Something like wooden blocks, push-along or ride-on toys will still be enjoyable many years after receiving the toy.
Many people prefer wooden toys because they are less babyish in nature, meaning they usually are not covered in baby patterns like terry bears. They are generally also very child-resistant and can take hard knocks without breaking like plastic toys. This will ensure that they will still be in excellent condition after many years.
A Few Final Thoughts.
When toys last a long time, they will be passed on to siblings, close family or friends. Wooden toys typically have a neutral color, which makes them genderless.
One of the main disadvantages of radio-controlled toys, walkie-talkies, and all the other electronic plastic toys, is that 99% of the time they will be stored away because the batteries are flat. This causes a lot of frustration in children because most of the time the toy is useless without batteries. Most wooden toys do not need batteries.
This goes without saying, but ensure the wooden toy you purchase is safe to use for the age of the child. Do not buy small blocks that can be swallowed by babies etc..
Many online retailers sell wooden toys for children, some of them, like WoodenDollhouseFurniture.co.za, will also custom-make toys, and paint them in the color of your choice.
We hope this article helped you get a better idea of what gifts to purchase for a baby or toddler. Good luck with your search!