What is a natural body lotion?
There is no commercial balsam for your body that will be 100% natural. Why? Because our gorgeous cream has to go the way from the producer to the distributor and still wait on the shelf for you.
And what’s worse for its vitality, balsams are made of water, which shortens their validity because bacteria can multiply in it. Looking at the drugstores, some specimens stand on their shelves for months sometimes even years before they find their owner. Therefore, commercial products must contain preservatives.
Secondly, there is no natural ingredient that would be an ideal preservative. We can use oils such as rosemary, which has an antibacterial effect or vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, which protects balms against rancidity. However, they do not counteract the growth of bacteria.
Sometimes, there will be raisins among companies that, in spite of everything, will insist that their balm comes from nature, but in a sense it is processed to get long-term. A good example is grapefruit seed extract. Sounds very natural, does not it? But it is not. What’s better, some studies have shown that this natural remedy contains parabens.
All this information led us back to the point where we know that if something is to be really natural, it must be done by us and in small amounts (if the ingredient is water). However, if even our bacteria invade our natural cream, it is still better than the combination of various preservatives on our faces that undoubtedly affect the development of cancer.
We do not have problems cooking fresh dinners, so why should we have a problem to make our own natural lotion at home?
It is not a novelty, people have been doing balms for thousands of years, so why can we?
A truly natural balsam – a basic recipe
- 59 ml of distilled water
- 7 g of beeswax
- 5 drops of vitamin E
- 7 drops of essential oil (you can use cinnamon, geranium or rose)
- 59 ml of olive oil
What will be useful to you?
- kitchen scale
- a pot
- heat-resistant dish that will fit into the pot
What to do?
- Make sure all equipment is scalded.
- Insert beeswax into the bowl and pour in the oil.
- Put the bowl in the bowl, but it can not stand directly on the bottom (use cupcakes for this purpose, but a normal cloth is fine too) pour water and wait for the wax to dissolve.
- Pull out the bowl and wait until the substance cools down, mix it up from time to time.
- When the mixture of wax and oil will have room temperature, we get to whipping our balm.
- In a separate container, mix water, essential oil and vitamin E.
- To the second jar, translate the mixture of oil and wax, pour a small amount of mixed water and mix at low speed, every now and then pouring a small amount of water.
- Finally, you get the consistency of mayonnaise, place it in the fridge where you can keep your lotion for up to 2 months.
If our homemade natural balm is divided into water and cream, it is the fault of the bad temperature of ingredients. Apparently, something was either too cold or too warm. Do not worry, pour the water out of the cream and you will have a fat cream for feet :).
Or if you got any concern about watery body lotion check out this article how to fix it. It will guide you through how to turn any watery lotion into a thick moisturizing cream.