Do you like to allow your hair to air dry? If so, you probably do absolutely nothing; however, if you want frizz-free, smooth hair, you must put a little more effort into your hair. We interviewed hairstylist to discover the best tips for air drying your hair. Continue reading to learn how you can air dry your hair and look like you have had a professional blowout.
1. Moisturizing Your Hair is Key – If you want your hair to be frizz- free, glossy and smooth, you must ensure that the outer layer of your hair, the cuticle, is closed. The cuticle of the hair opens and close like your pores do. A conditioner helps to close the hair cuticle so that the moisture is sealed into your hair to ensure your hair is soft and smooth. Depending on your hair type, you may be able to skip the shampoo; however, experts agree that conditioner should be used. You can go a step further and use a hair mask when your hair could use a little extra help.
2. Rinse Your Hair with Cold Water – After you have rinsed out your conditioner, give your hair a rinse with cold water suggest the hair care experts at Propaganda Hair Group. The water does not need to be ice cold; however, it should be cooler than room temperature. Although this procedure may not feel great, it is crucial to help energize and revitalize your hair. Cold water helps to close the hair cuticle for a smoother, sleeker look. The hair does the same thing as pores do. They open under hot water and close under cold water.
3. Brush Out Your Hair in the Shower – After you have shampooed your hair and applied conditioner, take a wet brush or a wide tooth comb and brush out your hair before the final rinse. This procedure will help to smooth and moisturize your hair. When you do this, it also helps to ensure the conditioner reaches the tips of your hair. It is important that you brush your hair out in the shower. Brushing your hair after a shower while it is still wet can increase the risk of hair breakage. We will delve into this subject in more detail later.
4. Set Your Hair – Do you want your hair to have a center part or a side part? Do you want your hair to fall gently over your ears? If so, you need to do a modern set by making sure your hair is sectioned into the part while it is still wet. This will ensure that it remains in the style you want as it air dries.
5. Leave In Conditioner – If you want your hair to be smooth, consider adding a leave-in conditioner. Leave-in conditioner closes the cuticle and improves the smoothness of your hair.
6. Never Towel Dry Your Hair – Every expert that was interviewed agreed that you should never allow a towel to touch your hair, no matter how fancy your towel is. Although a towel absorbs water and helps to dry your hair, it can also dry out your hair. In addition to this, towels can create tangle, snarls and knots in your hair. Instead, opt for a microfiber towel or an old T-shirt. Squeeze the excess water from your hair and avoid rubbing your hair with your towel. Rubbing your hair causes friction and can result in frizz. For those with naturally curly or permed hair, try a technique called plopping. Plopping involves wrapping your hair in a T-shirt and twisting the shirt to help remove excess water from the hair cuticle.
7. Avoid Touching Your Hair – One of the best things you can do is to avoid excess touching of your hair when it is wet. While your hair is wet, it is fragile. Avoid the temptation to brush your hair again while it is damp. During this time, it is most prone to breakage. Brushing or combing can open up the cuticle, resulting in frizz or even damage. The more you brush your hair when you get out of the shower, the more natural waves are broken up and frizz is created. Furthermore, do not scrunch your hair as it can cause frizz as well.
8. Braid Your Hair or Put It in a Bun – If you would like to add texture to your hair, braid loosely while your hair is damp. Another option is to pin your hair on top of your head into a loose bun. After you have put your hair in a bun or loosely braided it, allow it to air dry. Once your hair is dry, you can remove the braids or undo the bun. You will be rewarded with beautiful loose waves.
9. Give Your Hair Time to Dry – Air drying can take time. One of the best things you can do to improve the texture of your hair is to let it air dry fully. This can take some time, so take this time to relax.
10. Accept Your Hair – Even when you do everything right, you may still experience some flyaways and frizz. If you have a few errant hairs, lightly spray hairspray on your brush and gently brush the hairs down. The hairspray helps to keep all of your tresses into place. Finally, if you must use a blowdryer, only use it to blow out the hair around your hairline. This will speed up the drying time while keeping hair smooth. This is one of the tricks that hairstylists use when they want their hair to look polished and air dried.
It is important to remember that sometimes your hair will look better when it is blow dried. No two people’s hair is exactly the same, which means their hair routines will not be the same either. Find out what works best for your hair.